Skip links

Global Health Insurance Cards (GHIC)

The UK has just launched its Global Health Insurance card and you may currently be holders of the European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) which are intended to give you cover for emergency medical costs if you take ill when travelling in the EU. The NHS will cover such costs of this mutual recognised scheme.

As the government has now negotiated a deal with EU this means the existing cards will continue to be valid until their expiry date, then the new Global health Insurance Cards (GHIC) can be applied for.

The link below gives more details and how to apply for the new card:

The cards offer cover regardless of the reasons for travel, whether it is for work or social / holidays.

The government always advises that anyone travelling overseas, whether to the EU or elsewhere in the world, should take out comprehensive travel insurance.

Peter Walker

BCSA Director Health, Safety and Training